October 21, 2021
Earn 6 AIA HSW CEU
Ask any architect or engineer—timber is growing (no pun intended) on everyone. Mass timber construction is on the rise from the Pacific Northwest to the Deep South, promising new potentialities in tactile design and engineering; all while offering aesthetically pleasing solutions to sustainability goals. TimberCon 2021, hosted in partnership with the Mass Timber Institute will foreground exemplary timber projects across North America; identify best-case practices for their assembly; and spotlight emerging technologies within this exciting field.
CEO & Founder
Kelly Alvarez Doran
Associate Director – White Arkitekter / Adjunct Professor
Dean and Professor
Robert Matthew Noblett, AIA, NCARB
Vanessa Wan, P.Eng., M.Eng.
10:45 - 11:00 AM ET
11:10 - 12:00 PM
SpeakerKiel Moe, AIA, FAARArchitect & Author
12:00 - 12:10 PM
12:40 - 1:30 PM
SpeakerKelly Alvarez DoranAssociate Director – White Arkitekter / Adjunct Professor
SpeakerEli GouldUS Representative
ModeratorAnne KovenExecutive Director
1:30 - 1:40 PM
1:40 - 2:10 PM
2:10 - 3:00 PM
SpeakerAmelia BaxterCEO & Founder
3:00 - 3:50 PM
SpeakerVanessa Wan, P.Eng., M.Eng.Structural Engineer
SpeakerRobert Matthew Noblett, AIA, NCARBPartner
SpeakerWalton ChanSenior Associate
ModeratorSamuel MedinaExecutive Editor
3:50 - 4:00 PM ET
- Credit Type: 1 AIA/HSW Credit
- Provider: Rosboro
As Mass Timber continues to gain momentum as a highly desired building construction technique, Structural Glued Laminated Timber (Glulam) offers specifiers a tried and tested framework for structures of any size and configuration. Although glulam is a new concept to some, glulam products have been used reliably for generations as a cost-effective and flexible component of light and heavy-timber framing systems. Many of the Mass Timber framing systems being promoted today are based on glulam concepts that have been in use for decades. This course will highlight the reasons why glulam is the ideal solution for a wide range of Mass Timber applications and projects, and how to properly use glulam in your projects.
Through this course you will gain insight into the various uses of glulam in Mass Timber structures, capabilities of glulam manufacturing, design standards, product specification, Mass Timber detailing and construction techniques and common installation considerations.
- Discover the advancements of glulam product offerings as a means to expand the versatility of available construction product options.
- Evaluate how glulam products can be utilized to meet or exceed current fire rated building designs for Mass Timber and Type III construction projects.
- Specify structural glued laminated timber in the appropriate way to get the right products for your project.
- Acquire a broader understanding of proper wood framing techniques and glulam product specification that can add strength and economy to your projects.
Director of Engineering
- Credit Type: 1 AIA/HSW Credit
- Provider: Humboldt
This course provides evidence that Redwood Timbers are a safe, strong, sustainable option for building projects. It will explore the use of Redwood Timbers for post and beam construction, decorative elements, deck posts, and outdoor living structures. It provides information about Redwood’s insulation properties, Class B flame spread, modern redwood forestry management practices that ensure Redwood is a renewable resource, and product attributes of Redwood Timbers including grades, dimensions, fasteners, finishing options, and strength.
- Understand Redwood Timber grades, properties, and uses for durable structures.
- Understand Redwood’s Class B flame spread in accordance with ASTM standards.
- Understand how California state forestry requirements compare with the two primary forest certification programs, Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) and Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®).
- Identify Redwood Timbers as a renewable resource native to California.
- Explore case studies featuring the usage of Redwood Timbers in both exterior and interior building applications.
Business Development, Manager
Humboldt Sawmill Company
Your conference ticket includes unlimited access to our online event, the advice and knowledge of our speakers, exclusive roundtables, a chance to network with others in the AEC industry, and up to 6 AIA HSW CEUs.